May 5th 2:00pm - 5:00pm
This workshop is for:
- Birth and Postpartum Doulas (DONA 3 Continuing Ed Units/hours.)
- Lactation Consultants and Counselors, peer breastfeeding educators
- Postpartum or Perinatal Counselors and Psychotherapists
- Family Doctors, Naturopaths, newborn nurses
- Parent-Baby class facilitators
A primer in the science of sleep from the newborn stage through toddlerhood with a focus on the first four months. You’ll feel more confident answering client sleep questions and setting families up to sleep soundly.
You will learn:
- The Science of Breastfeeding and Infant/Maternal Sleep including how to best utilize natural circadian rhythms.
- How to educate families on the anthropology and biology of breastfeeding and sleep.
- Special considerations for serving bottle feeding, formula-feeding and exclusively-pumping families.
- Discussion of the works and studies of Dr. Helen Ball and Dr. James McKenna
- How to best support families that wish to bed-share while protecting yourself legally.
- To prioritize breastfeeding relationship while also helping families find a balance between breastfeeding, sleep, work and mental health.
- To better understand and, compare sleep training methods parents are using and the latest thought on safety and health of sleep interventions.
- Infant, maternal, and family development and milestones; environments, special needs, and nutritional challenges as they relate to sleep.
- How to talk to families about sleep in a supportive and non-judgmental way that helps you understand and mold your sleep help to their unique values.
- Clear understanding of safer sleep; advantages and disadvantages of sleep products available.
- Exactly how an overnight consultant/doula can help baby learn important sleep skills gently.
- When you are staying in scope of a doula presenting evidence-based info and when you are a sleep consultant.
- Best sleep practices for parents and caregivers from the Sleep Savvy Method.
Snacks provided. Bring water bottle, pen and notebook. *No Risk: If you miss this due to attending to a client, email me and I can send you materials.
Note: This course will not teach you how to “sleep train” a newborn under 4 months so that they will sleep through the night. The AAP does not recommend sleep training before 3 months and does not recommend it specifically until after 6 months.
About the Instructor:
Moorea Malatt CPD, CLEC
Moorea is a Lactation Counselor-Educator, sleep educator, Certified Parenting Coach and Postpartum Doula and Writer who has been working with families for over 20 years. She's a also a mom of two, a nature nerd, songwriter and former toddler preschool owner/director. Moorea loves to accompany families from birth and first feedings through excellent sleep skill building, gentle discipline and potty learning! She currently takes working mom-cations traveling around the country giving workshops and keynote speeches. Her book Quitting the Sleep Circus is due late in 2019.