August 28, 12:00pm-6:30pm *VIRTUAL*
About the Class:
While all of our classes cover the same core material, this particular class is specifically for LGBTQIA+ folx. Taught by Beth Hardy, a Queer childbirth educator and doula, this class will cover additional suggestions, ideas, and cultural context specifically geared toward queer families. It’ll be a safe and affirming place for all birthing folx and those who are supporting them.
Great as a standalone childbirth education foundation, but we love to bundle this class with Comfort + Coping, Push Prep, Postpartum Planning, Lactation (Not So) Basics, and Newborn Care classes for a truly comprehensive education! Book any three classes in one transaction for 10% off. All classes include you + your support team.
What do you get with the One-Day Condensed Childbirth Education?
- 6 hours of action-oriented, personalized live instruction
- 32-page interactive activity book, including our Birth Planning Guide and Hospital Packing List
- Live Office Hours on Zoom after class
- Access to Birthsmarter's Online Resource Directory for Pregnancy + Parenting
- Unbiased, non-judgmental, presentation of options (because you might get an epidural if you didn't want one, and not get one if you did)
- Neutral language
- Access to Birthsmarter's On-Demand class (when purchased as a bundle)
What does the One-Day Condensed Childbirth Education cover?
- Birthsmarter’s The Three Actions™ of Birth and Five Partner Responsibilities
- Oxytocin, Fetal Alignment, and The Positive Feedback Loop of Labor
- Cervical Changes + Cervical Exams: What’s important?
- The Stages of Labor
- Timing contractions
- The water “breaking”
- Pre-labor signs
- Coping strategies
- Getting to your birth location
- Hospital Vocabulary + “Birth Planning”: Triage, Monitoring, Pitocin and Pain Management
- Cesarean Birth
- Pushing and the birth of the baby
- Birthing the placenta
When should you take this class?
Ideally, you would take childbirth preparation classes between week 28 and week 34. Some people want the information as soon as possible and too many people squeeze it in between week 36 and week 40 (don't worry, it’s never too late)! Live classes are not recorded, but if you purchase a bundle of classes you will receive access to our On-Demand class so that you can go back and refresh your knowledge closer to your due date.
About the instructor:
Beth Hardy is a birth doula, postpartum doula and board-certified music therapist. Whether helping clients find their power and voice during labor, supporting new families as they navigate the uncharted waters of parenthood, or writing one-of-a-kind Womb Songs for expectant parents, Beth is passionate about all things birth. Beth identifies as queer and specializes in working with LGBTQIA+ families. She is the mom of two kids and lives in Salt Lake City, UT.
About Birth smarter:
In a world where it is difficult to keep sight of what is most important Birth Smarter aims to call our attention back to what is valuable. Do you notice that expectant parents spend more time choosing a stroller than they do a midwife or obstetrician? More time arranging their nursery than arranging comprehensive support for after the birth. As a business we have the power to convince you that pregnancy, birth, and the postnatal period are worth investing in. If we don’t, women and families suffer and you miss the opportunity to build an intentional foundation for your family; the foundation on which we’d like our society to rest.
Birth Smarter lives in the space where biology meets society, wisdom meets data, and empathy meets activism. We believe that transparency is the key to birth, babies, and business, that it is always worth investing in parents, and that together, we can change the world. Our unique birth and parenting classes offer expecting parents and their support team the information and practice that will enable them to think critically and improvise during high stakes moments. Our continuing education workshops empower health and wellness professionals to become trusted pillars of their perinatal community. We’re shaping the future, one birth at a time.